Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Pow Wow

So...Laura spoke about us possibly getting to play soccer while here in Spain and I thought...cool, some pick-up will be fun! Well, on Thursday evening we started the walk across the bridge over to Ciudad Jardin and behind the Zoco to play with the girls league in Cordoba not thinking much of it. I definitely had no idea what we were about to get ourselves into...I was completely unsure of how good the girls were going to be because everyone I asked had no idea that women even participated in organized sports here in Spain...
Well, we go inside the locker room and I'm starting to get a little nervous because all of the girls are pretty butchy looking...and at this point, I'm like, "oh, crap." Instantly I was set at ease/uncomfortable (I know...how is that possible to feel those two emotions at once?) when one girl that looks strikingly like Kate Carver from Flagler pulls out a 40 oz of Cruzcampo and is balancing her cigarillo in the other hand!!! They were passing the bottle around and the air was slowly thickening because of all the chain smokers. Que raro! So were looking around a little apprehensive and then we get out on the field and spent the next 2 hours touching the ball from start to finish. Those girls actually fared well considering they have a drinking problem and smoke like chimneys. I, on the other hand, wanted to curl up in a ball and die. I was thought I had embarrassed myself completely by the lack of coordination I possess since it had been 4 years since I played on the Flagler Women's Soccer team. YIKES.
After practice we were already being asked what numbers we wanted on our jerseys and when we would sign! Its cool that I have the opportunity to have a fun form of exercise but I'm not looking for a heavy contract when I only have 4 months remaining in Spain. I do want to maybe use the opportunity to travel around Andalucia when I can and just get to play the sport that I love. That is all.
The next day I couldn't even get out of bed. I was stiff as a board and not to mention the Friday practice we had no idea about. They start practicing at 9 pm (in true Spanish style) and then end around 11:30! Too late for me. For realz.
We actually went to their game tonight and I was unpleasantly surprised about how they lack cohesiveness. The girls act like a bunch of individuals rather than a team. Maybe we can bring together team unity. Not that all the girls are cool, but most are and I think that our American soccer style could be beneficial to the girls because we play differently.

More to report later!

No comments:

Post a Comment