Saturday, January 9, 2010

Makin' Moves Part II

sooo I may be able to get a turkey for t-giving!!! I was talking to one of the teachers, Rosa, at my school and she mentioned that at her carniceria (beat your meat shop) that the guy could make a call into a town for a turkey! haha I love their system. Not. But she was explaining to me that they eat turkey for Christmas so....they have to exist. They are not this fairytale I thought they were in this country. AAAAND there may be canned pumpkin floating around in this town...no sour cream though (for my creamed corn casserole...it will have to be greek yogurt womp)
As for Paris for New Years...yikes. It is practically an impossibility finding an affordable hostel/hotel/apartment anywhere...let alone on NEW YEARS. We have waited too long and its annoying. But I didn't want to make moves until everyone was on board. I have a glimmer of hope that there will be something available for us when we receive our paychecks December 1st (that is another thing...when you make our salary..around $1000 a month...its not much and you get the whole lot at once and its weird not being paid bi-monthly.)
Anyway, I'm really stoked for the month of December. Did I tell you that I'm going to Madrid??? Yeah, I'm going with my friend Laura that I have become close with over here...she is actually taking her LSATs the weekend of December 5th...so I'm going to head up there on Saturday afternoon (it takes about 4.5 hours to get there by bus) and meet up with her boyfriend and hangout for a bit (I may go with a couple of other girls...we shall see) and then when she gets out of her test we will break it to her that she and Juan are no longer together and that we have been secret lovers (hahaha..god no. But I know it seems kinda weird that I would meet her bf in Madrid). But anyway...then he'll leave on Sunday back for Sevilla and Laura and I were going to check out Toledo which is an hour away from Madrid, and supposedly beautiful. Then that next weekend we were either going to go to Santiago or Santander, the flights round-trip are about 20 euros which is completely ridiculous but we would have to fly out of Madrid...which is kinda a haul. I did find a 40 euro flight for that weekend out of Sevilla (a town only 1 hour away) to Brussels...so we shall see! I want to go anywhere really...the northern part of Spain sounds amazing and so does Belgium. Either way, both places will be freaking cold!
I definitely LOVE my teaching position and I'm glad that it is so easy to get a tutoring job on the side (I only tutor an additional 2 hours a week...its not that I'm lazy, I just like to fit in my exercise and hang out with folks at night and I don't know what it is here...but I am completely exhausted. Chasing little kids around all day, thinking of creative games and ways to teach them a unit in English is just continually exhausting). As for Cordoba, I really, really like it. I am so fortunate to be living in a semi-large city. And even more fortunate to have my school within the city...I know some people that have to take a bus/train/carpool for an hour to get to their schools.
I do need to put up pictures, and I will. I need to get a camera. I mentioned to my mom that I would bet on ebay and have a camera sent to the house and she could bring it with her when the fam comes in December...but she was insistent on not doing that...haha. I can't believe they are getting me a camera, its ridiculous really. I don't want anything from them other than they just come for the 2 weeks in December and we have an awesome time.

No comments:

Post a Comment